Powered by Blogger.

Hybrid Project

One of my favorite things to try with my digiscrap designs, is anything hybrid! I love combining what I do on the computer with real life things I can hold and touch. This idea was first inspired by the website Digital Scrapbooking 101. I tried their template, but it didn't work for what I was wanting to do, so I created my own!

The first thing I did was go to the store and buy several cans of Sweetened Condensed Milk. I bought the Nestle Carnation brand, but the other brand there was the exact same size, so either will work for this template. Then, I filled up a big pot with water, peeled the labels off the cans and put them in the water. Yep, they're still sealed and everything. I did 5 cans, but I could fit more and will do more next time.

I checked on them periodically and added water to make sure that water covered all the cans. I boiled them like this for 3 hours. At the end of the 3 hours, I opened one of the cans to try it myself and it was the best caramel dip, I've ever tasted. (I've been informed by my husband that this is actually a very popular south american treat called dulce de luce) but for me, it tasted like caramel! And it was so creamy and smooth!

Anyway, with the remaining sealed cans, I used the template I made by measuring the label, printed it out, cut it out and applied it to the cans. I also made cards to match. Didn't they turn out so cute? I can't wait to give these out to our friends and neighbors with a bag of apples!






So, for today's freebie, I have included the template for the label (2 on the page) and a template for the card. Plus, I included the pieces of the blue card so that all you have to do (if you want to make one yourself) is print it out on cardstock (I used my plain old $30 printer from Wal-mart), cut out the pieces and glue together! I hope you enjoy this and find a use for it as well! Oh, and the card is the size that will fit perfectly in a regular invitation envelope that you can buy in bulk for just a few dollars!

Download TEMPLATES here

Keira  – (December 14, 2008 at 5:47 PM)  

Oh my word does that sound yummy! I have a can of sweetened condensed milk that I bought at the store yesterday just in case I need it while doing my Christmas baking. If I don't use it I will definitely be doing this! Such a cute hybrid project!! Thanks for sharing!

Brooke - in Oregon  – (December 15, 2008 at 6:45 AM)  

Hi Ramona!
I made Kayla's carmel last year and it really is yummy.

Cute template too :)

Mary Ann  – (December 15, 2008 at 6:55 AM)  

I love your ideas. This is the cutest, simpliest, easiest gift. I love your card and labels. Thanks so much for sharing this.

How I Pinch A Penny  – (December 16, 2008 at 7:24 AM)  

I was inspired by the same web site! I love what you did. here is my interpretation:
http://howipinchapenny.blogspot.com/2008/12/mmm-caramel.html


thanks for sharing yours.

Angie  – (December 16, 2008 at 1:05 PM)  

Wow I have to try this!!! Sounds so yummy!!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP